Sherington

Description

Description of Sherington, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Sherrington, or Sherington is a parish of 1,780 acres and about 800 inhabitants. Its rateable value is £2,301. The soil is chiefly clay, the the subsoil galt. The village, which is a large one, is situated about 2 miles N. from Newport Pagnell, and 3 miles S. from Olney, and on the road between those two towns. It is divided into two parts – the church, and the greater portion of it being seated on an eminence, the remainder in a hollow. In the latter portion are several good brick houses, some of which are modern date and in the Gothic style; and these impart an air of respectability to this part of the place. Sherrington Bridge, which crosses the Ouse, is a handsome structure of three large and two small arches. The woman and children make pillow-lace in this and the neighbouring parishes. The open fields in Sherrington parish were inclosed under an act passed in 1796.

The Manor House, the property and residence of Alfred Umney, Esq., is a large ancient building, much modernised, and situated at the south-east end of the village.

In the month of June, 1645, a portion of the Parliamentarian army, under Fairfax, are said to have encamped at Sherringham.

The Benefice, which is a Rectory, is valued in the King's Books at £20 0s. 2.5d., and according to the Clergy List, now worth £631 per annum. Patron, the Bishop of the Diocese; Rector, the Rev. Alexander King. Before the reign of King John this church was given by William de Sherrington to the Abbey of St Martin, at Tours, and the Prior and Convent of Tickford ( a Cell to that house) presented to the Rectory.

The Rectory House stands about 400 yards south from the church, and is a large building. It is surrounded by neat gardens and pleasure grounds. The school, situated in Parson's Lane, is a very neat red brick structure. It is supported by the present Rector, and attended by about 40 children. There is a Lending Library here for the working classes, and the books are kept at the school.

The Independent Chapel was erected in 1882, and is a neat edifice of red brick.

Description

From the British Universal Directory 1791

IS fifty-three miles from London, in the turnpike-road leading from Newport-Pagnell to Wellingborough; is noted for bone-lace, and a large manufactory of royal-matting, great quantities of which are sent weekly to London. The lady of the late rector, the Rev. Mr. Barton, left 300I. to pew and beautify the church. A foot post every day, from Newport to Olney, calls at the Kings Head, Sherrington, to bring and receive letters.

Education

Sherrington Parish (Pop. 804)

One Daily School, wherein about 12 children are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, one supported by voluntary contributions, with 60 males and 70 females, who attend the Established Church ; the other appertains to Dissenters, and consists of about 80 children of both, sexes, who are gratuitously instructed.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.