Oving

Introduction

Oving Parish

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 990

Easting & Northing: 478221

Grid Ref SP780210 Click to see map

Names


Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Oving PARISH All Saints
Olvonge NAMES name for Oving in Domesday Book in 1086
Uunig NAMES name for Oving in 1675
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1790. Rebuilt 1849, 1869

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 257
1811 306
1821 372
1831 384
1841 391
1851 442
1861 436
1871 440
1881 385
1891 364
1901 318
1911 318
1921 284
1931 288
1941 N/A
1951 332
1961 340
1971 332
1981 363
1991 419

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Oving   All Saints   Baptisms   1600   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Oving   All Saints   Marriages   1600   1900   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Oving   All Saints   Burials   1600   1910   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 CLAVER SMITH NASH SMITH
2 STREAME CLARK SMITH NASH
3 HARTWELL NASH CLARKE CLARK
4 KNOWLES MARKHAM CLARK CLARKE
5 JAMES THORP PRICE PRICE
6 HILSDEN NORWOOD CLEAVER CLEAVER
7 SCOTT GINGER YOUNG YOUNG
8 ROBINSON EVANS EVANS EVANS
9 OLIFFE WALL WALKER WALKER
10 WHITE CANNON ELMER ELMER

 

Description

Description of Oving from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

 

Oving contains 971 acres of arable, meadow, and pasture land of excellent quality. Population, 442; rateable value, £2,252. The Village stands on an eminence 6 miles N.W. from Alyesbury. On the brow of the eminence is a remarkable spot in which five or more ancient roads appear to have met. These ran in nearly direct lines and are supposed to have been ancient British trackways. This is the quinque-via which Willis mentions in connexion with Sir John Shorne's Well at North Marston. Springs arising in the hills severally run to the Ouse northward, and to the contributory streams to the Thame on the South. The prospects from the western side of the village are rich, varied and extensive. Both white and black pillow-lace of a superior description is made by the females of Oving.

Oving house, on the south side of the village, was built in the last century by C. Pilsworth, Esq., and improved and enlarge by Richard Hopkins, Esq., who made it his principal residence. It was occupied during some years by General Northey-Hopkins, and from 1812 it was tenanted by Sir Thomas Digby Aubrey, Bart., until he died in 1856. The mansion commands extensive prospects and is a pleasing object in perspective from the Vale of Aylesbury. Formerly the approach to the house was formed by two fine avenues of lofty elms, which flanked the south front; but these have been cut down. Oving house is now leased to George Henry Brettle, Esq. who occupies it.

The Rectory House stands south of the church, and is an ancient genteel residence recently enlarged. It is indented to erect a school building, there being none at present. The Sunday School is held in the church.

The Primitive Methodist Chapel was built near the village about twelve years ago.
 

Education

Oving Parish (Pop. 384)

One Daily School, consisting of about 15 children, who are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School (re-established 1831), with 48 males and 42 females, supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.