Notes on Naphill (Sheahan)

Desscription

Description of Naphill from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Nap Hill Common is part of an extensive tract of several hundred acres of land which lies mainly in the Manors of Hughenden and West Wycombe. The portion of the former manor was inclosed in 1859, and has added considerably to the value of the Hughenden Manor estate. The remainder is still open. In 1851 a Primitive Methodist Chapel was erected here.

Description

Naphill, from Kelly’s Directories 1903.

Naphill, 2.5 miles north-west [of Hughenden] has a Mission hall; this place, and North Dean, are parts of this parish.

Post Office, Naphill – Thomas Lee, sub-postmaster. Letters through High Wycombe arrive 7 a.m. & 12.45 p.m. Box cleared at 1 & 5.30 p.m. Postal Orders are issued here, but not paid. Terriers is the nearly money order & High Wycombe is the nearest money order £ telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

Naphill Residences

Culver George, Maud cottage

Free Rev. Alfred George

Pickop Mrs

 

Commercial

Allan Wm. Edwd. frmr. & dairyman

Baldwin Edwin, engineer

Dawes Sarah (Miss), Wheel P.H.

Grimsdell Walter, farmer

Harding James, farmer

Hatton Brothers, farmer

Hunt Alfred William, grocer

Lacey Richard, shopkpr. & baker

Lee Thomas, grocer, Post Office

Lewes Thomas, beer retailer

Pike James, Black Lion P. H.

Puddifoot Henry (Mrs.), beer retailer

Purcell Richard, farmer

Smith Brothers, stone cutters.

Williams Arthur, farmer.