There are over 250 parishes in the county, here they have been divided into five groups based on modern boundaries. Before 1974 all records are defined by the historic county boundaries which included the town of Milton Keynes and followed the Thames in the south of the county.

Material is being transferred into this section and the old format retired.

Lillingstone Lovell

Introduction

Lillingstone Lovell Parish

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 1269

Easting & Northing: 471240

Grid Ref SP710400 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

 

NameTypeNote
Lillingstone Lovell PARISH St Mary the Virgin

 Tab Links

Links

Village History Village History
Search The National Archives for Lillingstone+Lovell Search The National Archives for Lillingstone Lovell
Buckinghamshire Remembers - St Mary the Virgin Buckinghamshire Remembers - St Mary the Virgin
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass

 

Photographs

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 135
1811 144
1821 160
1831 159
1841 140
1851 171
1861 185
1871 152
1881 161
1891 156
1901 137
1911 131
1921 127
1931 143
1941 N/A
1951 117
1961 143
1971 107
1981 123
1991 132

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Lillingstone Lovell   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1558   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Lillingstone Lovell   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1558   1840   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Lillingstone Lovell   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1558   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 EDKINS KEY SCOTT BALDWIN
2 SPENCER EDKINS ATTWOOD EDKINS
3 GREY HIND BALDWIN KEY
4 COLES BALDWIN COX SCOTT
5 STEERE POLLARD WARNER ATTWOOD
6 LONG PETTIFER RIDGE WARNER
7 WOODWARD TILLY BUCKINGHAM SPENCER
8 HARROLD GARRET LLOYD RIDGE
9 CURTIS ATKINS HOLLYOAKE COX
10 BENNET GIBBS HURST POLLARD

 

Notes

Lillingstone Lovell is one of the most ancient and unspoilt villages in Buckinghamshire. At the time of the Domesday Book it was known as Lillingestane, and about 1431 it became the property of the Baronial family of Lovell, since when it has been called by their name.

Perhaps it was the plentiful supply of water from the brook and the spring that enabled the early farmers to settle here on the edge of the great Whittlewood Forest that covered the area in early times. To this day farming is the main livelihood of the local people.

The beautiful old village church, which has been the centre of the village life through the ages, is the third church to be built on the present site. No trace remains of the original building. Of the second church built in 1210, the tower and porch arch remain and are incorporated in the present building. The monuments and hatchments within recall the history and generosity of the local notables.
In 1546 the. Manor was given by the king to Sir Nicholas Wentworth and remained in the possession of this family until 1784.

The most famous member of this family was Sir Peter Wentworth, member of the House of Commons for Tamworth. He bore a conspicuous part in the attempt to resist Cromwell's encroachment upon the rights of Parliament. From the interest on money he left the parish, stem the Wentworth Charities.

The family lived in a mansion, built in the reign of Henry VIII, that stood behind the present Hall Farm. The last of the Went-worths bequeathed the estate to a relative. Shortly after his succession the Manor House was demolished, and the beautiful avenue of trees cut down. The foundations of the old house can still be seen in dry weather.

In 1836 the estate was bought by a member of the Delap family. Major James Bogle Delap and friends carried out an extensive restoration of the church in 1891.
The village has altered very little in appearance in the last 120 years. It is in a conservation area, and housing development is not permitted except for one or two dwellings built for agricultural workers.

The Church of England school was built in 1850, and the porch added in 1905. It remained as a school until 1916 when the children were moved to Lillingstone Dayrell school. An old log book, kept by the mistress, shows that the making of bobbin lace featured largely on the girls' curriculum. Lace making was a cottage industry for women, whilst the men worked on the land.

An event in 1923 changed the outlook and status of the village. The Manor and village farms came on the market when the estate was broken up. Some tenants bought their farms, and some people bought their houses. There was no longer a squire to rule the village and require the children to attend church and Sunday school — whether they would or no!

In a way this event brought a certain stability to the village. At the present time, some farms have been in the same family for three generations.
In the 1930s the village ghost appeared at the house of two old ladies up at Briary. People came from Northampton to see the lady on a white horse, but the ghost was exorcised once and for all when it was disclosed that the image was caused by trick photography!

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Lillingstone Lovell by J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Prior to the year 1844, this parish, which lies at the N.E. angle of the hundred of Buckingham, was a detached portion of the county of Oxford; as Caversfield, near Bicester, Oxon, belonged to Buckinghamshire. In the above year, and under the Act 7 and 8th Vict. c 61, the parish of Caversfield became incorporated with the county of Oxford, the ecclesiastical jurisdiction or right of patronage, not however being interfered with. Although Bucks has been thus deprived of this outlying section, it has nevertheless received in return an equivalent by the annexation, under the above Act, of the parish of Lillingstone Lovel – the ecclesiastical jurisdiction, &c., remaining as hitherto. Lillingstone Lovel adjoins Lillingstone Dayrell. Its area is 1,269 acres, and the numbers of its inhabitants is 185.

The village is situated midway between Buckingham and Towcester, being about 5 miles from either town.

This place belonged to the King at the time of the Domesday Survey. In 1279 the Manor passed into the family of D’Anesi, or Dauntesy, after whom it was called Lillingstone Dauntesy. About the same period it was known as Lillingstone Magna, and the adjoining parish of Lillingstone Dayrell, was then called Lillingstone Prava. In 1352, Thomas Ferrares died seised of this manor, and it afterwards came into the possession of Alice Ferrares, the favourite of King Edward III. About the year 1366, William Lovell, of the baroniel family of Minster Lovell, obtained “a grant of free warren over all his manor and lands in Lillingstone Dauntesy.” In 1431, John, the tenth Lord Lovell, became possessed of the estate, and his successor, Francis, Lord Lovell, the favourite of Richard III., being slain at the Battle of Stoke, in 1488, his estates were escheated to the Crown. 1546, King Henry VIII. gave this manor to St Nicholas Wentworth, in exchange for other lands; and in 1682 it passed by marriage to John Creswell, who took the name of Wentworth in addition to Creswell. William Wentworth Creswell died in 1784, bequeathing this manor and estate to his brother-in-law Major Drake, for life, with remainder to his cousin, the Hon. Edward Onslow. Whilst in the possession of the latter, the estate fell into neglect, the family mansion, erected in the time of Henry VIII. was pulled down, and much ornamental timber destroyed: while the deer park was broken up and converted into fields and meadows. In 1821, the estate, including the whole of the parish (except 40 acres of glebe, and several acres of woodland belonging to Sir Charles Mordaunt, Bart., and the lands in the adjoining parish of Lillingstone Dayrell, and Leckhampstead, was purchased by James Boyle Delap, Esq. of Stoke Park near Guildford, who died in 1850, and left it to his widow for life. After the decease of this lady it came to its present possessor, the Rev. Robert Delap, of Strabane, Co. Donegal, Ireland, nephew of J. B. Delap, Esq.

The present Manor House, comfortable dwelling, does not appear to have ever been sufficient importance to be the seat of the proprietor; though it might have been occasionally occupied by the lords of the place.

The living is a Rectory, rated in the King’s Books at £8 9s. 4.5d. Patron, the Lord Chancellor; Rector, Rev. William Lloyd. The tithes have been commuted for £183 13s., and there are about 40 acres of glebe land.

The Church (St. Mary) is composed of the usual parts of a parish church. The tower is probably of the time of Henry III., and the body of the building is of the date Edward II. or III. The tower contains four good bells (re-cast in 1693), and the “ringing-in-bell.” The church was entirely repaired in 1777, with foreign oak. The window and door-way of the rood-loft yet remain. The east end of the aisles were formerly chantry chapels; the piscinas and seats for the priest remain. The aisles are divided from the nave by three pointed arches on each side, springing from octagon pillars with plain capitals. There are three monumental brasses in the floor, in the 15th century, and several monuments of lords of the manor and others.

The Rectory House stands near the church in an elevated position, and commands a good view of the surrounding country.

The school was erected in 1850, by subscription, with a residence for the teacher. In 1675, Sir Peter Wentworth bequeathed to this parish and to that of Wolstan in Warwickshire conjointly, the sum of £300, the interest to be applied in apprenticing poor children. And to the parish of Lillingstone Lovell he left a further sum of £100, the interest to be given to the poor of St. Thomas’s Day.

 

Linslade

Introductions

Linslade Parish

Church: St Barnabas & St Mary

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Leighton Buzzard

Size (acres): 1693

Easting & Northing: 491225

Grid Ref SP910250 Click to see map

 

Places

Places

NameTypeNote
Linslade PARISH St Barnabas & St Mary
Linchada NAMES name for Linslade in Domesday Book in 1086
Lynchelad NAMES name for Linslade in 1526
Lynchelade NAMES name for Linslade in 1543
Southcott NAMES name for Southcourt in 1925
Surcote NAMES name for Southcourt in 1826
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1861. Sold 1941
Strict Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Bethnal Chapel. First Mentioned: 1843
Chelsea PLACE within the parish
Southcourt PLACE within the parish
Tiddingford Hill PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 203
1811 281
1821 370
1831 407
1841 883
1851 1309
1861 1511
1871 1633
1881 1724
1891 1982
1901 2157
1911 2262
1921 2373
1931 2433
1941 N/A
1951 3270
1961 N/A
1971 N/A
1981 5139
1991 5272

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Linslade   St Barnabas & St Mary   Baptisms   1690   1880   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Linslade   St Barnabas & St Mary   Baptisms   1896   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Linslade   St Barnabas & St Mary   Baptisms   1880   1896   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Linslade   St Barnabas & St Mary   Marriages   1575   1908   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Linslade   St Barnabas & St Mary   Burials   1718   1906   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 GURNEY GURNEY SMITH SMITH
2 HICKMAN CRESSEY FAULKNER TURNEY
3 CORBET ADAMS MEAD FAULKNER
4 TURNEY JOHNSON TURNEY GURNEY
5 NORTHE NASH QUICK MEAD
6 PEATMAN TURNEY COTCHING COTCHING
7 PRENTISE COTCHIN WHITMAN ADAMS
8 PRENTIS ROE CARTER QUICK
9 NORTH COTCHING TAVENER CARTER
10 PRENTICE THEED COOK WHITMAN

 

Description

Description of Linslade from J.J.Sheahan, 1861.

Linslade or Linchlade, including the hamlet of Southcote, contains 1,830 acres, and population numbers 1,511 souls. The name of the place has been thought to be derived from the Saxon Len, a spring, and a lade, a small hill; but it is also conjectured to be from linge, or ling, a vegetable production abounding in the vicinity of the slade, or glade, between the irregular eminences, near and through which the Ousel takes its course. A spring of ancient celebrity appears to have caused this place to become noted; and this would render the first supposition plausible. The parish is on the verge of the county, and divided from that of Leighton Buzzard, in Bedfordshire, by the river Ousel. The soil is chiefly clay, with a thin stratum, and chalky fragments washed from the Chiltern Hills; but in the valleys it is sandy and interspersed with springs.

The village, or as it is now termed, Old Linslade, is situated on elevated ground 2 mile N. by W from the market-town of Leighton Buzzard, and is reduced to the old church, the manor house, and two cottages. Here are fourteen acres of wood, and a plantation of Scotch firs, and these taken with the Ousel, and the Grand Junction Canal winding through the valley, and the plantations of tall larch and Scotch fir on the Bedfordshire side of the vale, form a charmingly rural scene. On a spot which was formerly called Chelsea, and which consisted of but a few thatched cottages contiguous to the Leighton Buzzard Station of the London and North Western Railway, a little town has sprung up of late years, called New Linslade. This consists of several streets of genteel private residences, and some large inns; but owing to its adjacency to Leighton Buzzard (from which it is distant half a mile eastward) there are few shops. In 1848-9 a new Church and Schools were built here, and in 1854, a Parsonage was added. The town is built chiefly of brick, and is increasing in size. The present Railway Station was opened on the 14th of February, 1859, at which the previous station which stood some distant from it was taken down. The stream of the Ousel is here crossed by a brick bridge of two arches, in the centre of which is the boundary stone of the counties of Bucks and Beds, with the arms of these counties carved thereon. A short distance from this bridge is the Grand Junction Canal, which occupies 30 acres 26 perches of this parish. The Railway Company occupy 46 acres 13 perches, including a portion of the branch line from this place to Dunstable. The Petty Sessions for the Ivinghoe Division of Cottesloe Hundred are held here.

Linslade had formerly a weekly market on Thursdays, the charter for which was granted to William de Beauchamp, by King Henry III. in 1251. This charter also granted an annual fair here for eight days, at the Feast of the Nativity of the blessed Virgin, as well as free warren to Beauchamps in all their demesnes in Linslade.

The manor house – Linslade House – the seat of the Corbets, stands a little eastward of the old church, and is a plain, square, brick built house with stone dressings. It is surrounded by about 14 acres of park like ground, in which is some good timber. In front of the house are two fine trees of spruce fir, each about 100 feet in height. Linslade House, which has lately had farm premises added to it, is the property of the Lord of the Manor (Mr Pulsford), and in the tenancy of Sir W. Hayter, whose steward, Mr. Robert Fergus, occupies it.

Southcote, Southcott, or Surcott is a hamlet in this parish, situated about a quarter of a mile from New Linslade, and consists of four farms, and about twenty cottages – the tatter surrounding an open green. From the fact that hops grow here, wild, in the hedge-rows, and that a field in the place is known as the Hop Garden, it may be conjectured that hops were formally cultivated in Southcote.

The Parsonage House was erected with monies received by way of donations from the Governors of the Queen Anne’s Bounty Fund, and the Diocesan Society, as well as by subscription. It stands close to the church, on its south-east side, is a very neat residence, with gables, and is built of white brick.

The building for the schools is on the south side of the church, and is composed of the same kind of material as the parsonage. It is in the Gothic style and consists of two large rooms for boys and girls, and a residence for the teachers. The school-rooms are well fitted up, lighted and ventilated. About 110 children attend daily. The erection of the school building was aided by grants from the Committee of Council, the National Society, and the Diocesan Board. The remainder of the required sum was obtained by solicitation. The church, schools, and the parsonage from an interesting group.

The Baptist Chapel is a neat red brick edifice erected in 1843.

Education

Linslade Parish (Pop. 407)

This parish being contiguous to Leighton-Buzzard the children attend the Schools there.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

Little Horwood

Introduction

Little Horwood Parish

Church: St Nicholas

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 1948

Easting & Northing: 479230

Grid Ref SP790300 Click to see map

Names


Places

NameTypeNote
Little Horwood PARISH St Nicholas
Independent NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: ?. Recorded in 1851 religious census
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1847
Whaddon Chase (Part) PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 339
1811 325
1821 429
1831 431
1841 392
1851 427
1861 449
1871 411
1881 309
1891 304
1901 267
1911 293
1921 258
1931 255
1941 N/A
1951 332
1961 260
1971 287
1981 321
1991 357

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Little Horwood   St Nicholas   Baptisms   1568   1866   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Little Horwood   St Nicholas   Marriages   1568   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Little Horwood   St Nicholas   Burials   1575   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 HAWKINS ILLING CURTIS ILLING
2 ILLING COX ILLING CURTIS
3 ADAMS PITKIN FAIRMAN PITKIN
4 BARTON WHITE VICCARS GASCOIGNE
5 VARNEY VICARS GRAINGE GRAINGE
6 ROBINSON CURTIS GIBBS GIBBS
7 PITKIN SMITH GASCOIGNE FAIRMAN
8 BARBAR CLARKE PARKER VICCARS
9 WILLSON WILMER WALTON HARRIS
10 ILLINGE GASCOIGNE LEONARD WHITE

 

Description

The village was known as Parva Herewode or Horwude in the 13th century, Parva Horwode in the 14th, Harwood Parva in the 17th, each name referring to the woods and the heavy clay soil in the area. When the field system was developed the Roman unit split into two parishes and Little Horwood became a village in its own right. It was not mentioned in the Domesday Book, being included in the Winslow manor which belonged to the Abbot of St Albans until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Little Horwood's church, St Nicholas, was built about 1200 added to over the centuries and restored in 1889 when a series of wall paintings was discovered under a crust of whitewash. The earliest date from the 13 th century.

The Second World War changed Little Horwood from a quiet rural community to one bustling with crowds of strangers for an airfield was made on land lying between the two Horwoods. It came into use on 3rd September 1942 and from it operated No 26 Operational Training Unit of Bomber Command flying mainly Vickers Armstrong Wellington twin-engined bombers, though many other types of aircraft came and went also. The constant din of aircraft flying low overhead became commonplace and crashes and the death of crews all too frequent. The army was camped at the Manor and prior to D Day, the village was seething with men and machines carrying out manoeuvres on a vast scale.

The airfield ceased operations on January 15 th 1946 and a sudden quiet must have settled again on Little Horwood. To-day the runways and ammunition sheds can still be seen over the fields but the only activity is the grazing of sheep and cattle and the only flights are made by birds.
Life went quietly on; too quietly perhaps. In 1968 some felt that the village was lacking in amenities and much needed improving. There were black spots and very little in the way of entertainment. The village was losing its spirit.
So a newsletter was produced and put through every door. It was a gamble. Deficiencies were pointed out and a scheme was suggested to raise money for the suggested alterations and improvements. The letter ended thus:-
'Because of *ts smallness, the village must pull together or nothing can be achieved. It can only do this if everyone contributes in some way to the maintenance and running of the village, and the people of the community will only do this if their interest is aroused.'

The gamble was successful. The people rallied round. The Little Horwood Social Amenities Association was born and the Entertainments Committee came into being so that all that was wrong has been put right and within the village there is now an active social life.

One of the first achievements of the Social Amenities Association was to buy the school, closed and up for sale. This now houses a flourishing Play Group, the Youth Club, as well as being the Cricket Pavilion and a venue for dances, bazaars, parties etc. The cricket field and playground behind and surrounding it is in the charge of a committee who have recently enlarged and improved the facilities. Sports for the children and pig roasts and a barn dance are some of the activities which take place here. The village hall is used for similar functions, for meetings and for the annual theatrical production staged by the W.I. Shrove Tuesday Pancake races and May Day Celebrations have also been revived by the W.I. and in October there is the Village Race, a cross country event, open to all ages, 2xh miles for the younger men, IVi miles for ladies, children and the not so young. The whole village turns out for this event either to run or just to watch. Several cups are presented and the Crown does a roaring trade. Boxing Day sees a race of a different kind when duck owners bring their birds, complete with knitted colours round their necks, to race in the brook. It is a crazy get-together which raises some money for the recreation ground. Racing of a more serious kind takes place in the spring when two point-to-point meetings are held on Manor Farm land if the weather is not too wet and the clay soil from which the village derives its name does not become waterlogged.

The money raising scheme first suggested in 1968 has continued to this day; weekly payments for those wishing to participate, a weekly draw to determine the winner of the week, and the profits managed by the Trust which allocates money to those organisations in need of it for improvements etc. Quarterly, the Little Horwood News is published, giving news of events, reports of functions, welcoming newcomers and frequently producing items of historical interest.
For the future, though people come and go, it is hoped that the community spirit which makes this village such a good one to live in, will continue.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Memories

 Living in a small village and being the middle child of a family of seven, my childhood was very happy. We all had to work hard, but we had lots of fun too.
We all had to get up at the crack of dawn and were quite ready to go to bed early.

All our drinking water had to be fetched in buckets from a stand pipe in the street. We often had to take a kettle of boiling water to thaw the frozen tap in winter. In the back yard we had a large covered tank and two tubs, which held the very valuable rain water.
Each Wednesday morning very early, all doors and windows were closed, and the village streets were deserted, for this was the day the sanitary cart came round. The wooden closets were right at the bottom of the garden, most of them had two seats, one for adults and a small one for children, so each closet had two buckets to be emptied.

We always kept two pigs in the sty, one for the house and one to sell. The profit made on the one sold, paid for the other.

It was a busy time when the pig was killed. There was all the offal to see to, and the lovely liver, and the fat of which some was always taken round to relatives and friends and then they returned the kindness when they had a pig killed. All the odd pieces of meat were made into big pork pies.
The chitterlings had to be thoroughly cleaned in strong salt water and had to be turned and put into fresh salt water every day for a fortnight. The 'leaf, a large piece of fat, had to be cut into small pieces and put into a large saucepan and melted down to make great bowls of lard. The hard pieces that were left were called scratchings and were delicious with salt and bread.
The sides of bacon and hams were salted in a big 'lead', a large flat dish the size of a big table. Salt had to be rubbed into the meat for several weeks, then the sides of bacon and hams were wrapped in muslin cloth and hung in the kitchen to dry.

On Sunday morning two of us made the long journey right up the village to the bake house, one carrying a huge greased baking tin and large joint and the other a can of batter. Almost everyone in the village took their Sunday joint to be cooked like this. The Yorkshire pudding underneath the meat was just too good to describe.

In the spring we went at night time up the ridings to the edge of the woods to listen to the nightingales. On Good Friday everyone went to the woods to gather primroses to decorate the church and chapel and some for the home. The men spent the day on the allotments setting the early potatoes.

One of the year's loveliest days was May Day. My grandmother had a beautiful garden full of old-fashioned flowers. She used to pick a small bunch for the younger children and the older ones each had a Crown Imperial. We carried these flowers round from door to door singing as we went, all dressed up in our prettiest dresses, with daisy chains for hair bands, necklaces and bracelets.

May Day Song

'A May garland I have brought you
Before your door it stands
It's nothing but a sprout
But it's well spread about
By the work of the Good Lord's hands.
'Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen We wish you happy May We've come to show you our May garland Because it is May Day.'

When anyone in the village died, the church-bell was tolled at once and again before the funeral. All curtains and blinds were drawn over the cottage windows if the funeral procession had to pass by.

K.A. Savage, Little Horwood


Extracted from 'A Pattern Hundreds' (1975) and reproduced with the kind permission of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes

Notes


Description of Little Horwood from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

The area of Little Horwood, or Horwood Prava, is 1,950 acres; population 448; rateable value, £1,948. The railway between Bletchley Junction and Oxford passes through the parish. Straw plat and bone lace are made here. The village lies 2.5 miles N.E. from Winslow.

Little Horwood is not mentioned in Domesday, but the place is supposed to have been surveyed Winslow. The Manor belonged to the Abbey of St. Albans, and was granted in 1599 to Sir John Fortesque, whose son sold it to Sir George Villers, Knt., afterwards Duke of Buckingham. George, his son the profligate Duke of Buckingham, mortgaged it with his other estates; and when this Duke’s property was sold by the mortgagees, the Horwood Prava estate was purchaces by William Lowndes, Esq., ancestor of the present proprietor, William Selby Lowndes, Esq.

Besides the Lord of the Manor, the other chief proprietors of the soil here are Philip Dauncey, Esq., Miss Weston, and the executors of the late Mr. W. Tuckley.

The Rectory House, situated about one mile from the church, is an ancient and spacious building, now the seat of Philip Dauncey, Esq. It stands on a hill, surrounded by lofty trees, and attached to it are about 400 acres of park-like grounds – remarkable for richness, and used as grazing land. From the dairy here the Royal palaces receive, through the purveyor, a supply of butter, daily. Here too are bred some of the finest, of the description of cows commonly known as the Alderney breed. This house and estate belonged successively to the families of Pigott, Styles, Carter, Adams, and Langston. Mr Dauncey has the impropriation of the great tithes.

A short distance eastward from the church is a decayed mansion, surrounded by a moat, now the farm residence of the Moat Farm. At a part of the villages called Fish End, is an ancient and curious house of brick and wood, in the shape of the letter H, the upper story projecting over the lower part, and having gabled-ends. At Hill Farm is another ancient house having an overhanging upper story. At Wood End is a house similar in style to the Fish-end house; and also one gable of a residence that was formerly inclosed by a wall of red brick with an ornamented coping, a portion of which remains. The parish has been inclosed by an Act of Parliament, passed in 1766, when an allotment of land was assigned to the impropriator of the great tithes, and a corn-rent to the Vicar.

The Living is a Vicarage, in the gift of the Church Patronage Society, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas B. Holt. It is rated in the King’s Book at £5 6s. 8d., and returned in the Clergy List at £111. The right of presentation has passed through many hands. A few years ago the patron was the Rev. John Bartlett, of Marnwood, Salop. The tithes were commuted in 1849.

The Church (St Nicholas) is an ancient edifice consisting of a square embattled west tower (in which hangs a ring of five bells), a nave, south aisle, and chancel. There are four Early English arches between the nave and the aisle, supported by circular pillars; the aisle is lighted by two three light windows, square-headed; and there are two windows, similar in character in the wall of the nave. The present deal pews were erected in 1830; at the west end is a spacious gallery, put up in 1787; the ancient hagioscope, and a sculptured pedesdal or bracket remain in the aisle; the pulpit is ancient and oak; the font is small and plain; and the ceilings are of plaster. The chancel is small, and lighted by three plain windows. In this part of the church are some high-backed pews. On the north wall are four marble tablets to the memory of Sir Stephen, who was an Alderman of London, purchased an estate here, where he died in 1797. He was High Sheriff of Bucks in 1788 and 1796. The Rev. Stephen Langston, Vicar of this church for 26 years, died 1816.

On the south side of the church-yard is the Vicarage House, “built with framed wood, filled up with bricks, rough-casted, and covered with tiles,” as it is described in a terrier, drawn up in 1810; and as it remains to this day.

At the time of the inclosure of the common lands, in 176, an allotment of 3 acres, 27 perches of arable land was assigned for the repairs of the church, and is known as “Church Land.” This land is at present let for £6 a year.    

 

Education

Little Horwood Parish (Pop. 431)

Two Sunday Schools; one with 34 females; the other, 36 males and 39 females; both supported by subscription.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833. 

Long Crendon

Introduction

Long Crendon Parish

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Thame

Size (acres): 3461

Easting & Northing: 469208

Grid Ref SP690080 Click to see map

Names


Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Long Crendon PARISH St Mary
Crayndon NAMES name for Long Crendon in 1524
Crendendona NAMES name for Long Crendon in Domesday Book in 1086
Long Crindon NAMES name for Long Crendon in 1626
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1853
Particular Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Meeting House. First Mentioned: 1799. Built 1828, rebuilt 1854
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1854
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1840. Built 1866
Easington PLACE within the parish
Notley PLACE within the parish
Tittershall PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 991
1811 989
1821 1212
1831 1382
1841 1656
1851 1700
1861 1570
1871 1365
1881 1179
1891 1187
1901 1075
1911 1082
1921 907
1931 978
1941 N/A
1951 1205
1961 1498
1971 1978
1981 2347
1991 2403

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Long Crendon   St Mary   Baptisms   1560   1906   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Long Crendon   St Mary   Marriages   1562   1904   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Long Crendon   St Mary   Burials   1559   1906   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 WEST SHRIMPTON SHRIMPTON SHRIMPTON
2 BURT WEST DODWELL ING
3 BURNHAM CARTER ING DODWELL
4 CANNON CANNON WARNER TURNER
5 TURNER RANDOLPH TURNER WEST
6 BURNAM GIBSON EDWARDS CANNON
7 GREENING COX BUCKLE WARNER
8 BUTLER TOWERSEY SAWYER CROOK
9 HEARNE FRYER CROOK TOWERSEY
10 TOWERSIE WINTER BRISCOE EDWARDS

 

Notes

Long Crendon was originally called Creodun, a Saxon word meaning Creoda's Hill, Creoda being the son of Cedric, or Cerdic, the first king of the West Saxons. A large village two miles north of Thame, it came into prominence towards the end of the 16th century with its needlemaking industry. Lacemaking likewise was one of its crafts, having been brought into Buckinghamshire villages by foreign refugees as early as the 16th century. It provided work for a large proportion of the women and girls, some of them learning even from the age of five.
Its long meandering main street, bounded at one end by the impressive 14th century grey limestone church, and at the other end by the Churchill Arms, is picturesque with its colour-washed houses and cottages, mostly of the 17th century.

Long Crendon's oldest inn, also in the main street, is the Eight Bells, situated towards the church end and close to the famous old Courthouse. These buildings fairly come alive each year in springtime when a group of dedicated people, old and young, come together in order to re-enact a selection from the York Cycle of Mystery plays in and around our lovely floodlit church. Then, for a memorable week, are you likely to come across all manner of colourfully-attired medieval characters as they emerge from alley and doorway! Ruth Pitter, poet and much-loved local celebrity, has been closely connected with these annual performances, now in their 16th year, and did indeed modify some of the original text.

Long Crendon, in common with many another village, seems to have had its fair share of ghosts! There was the poltergeist believed to have haunted the Courthouse, the galloping horseman of Lower End, an unhappy little lady in much the same area whose soul is now said to be shut up in a salt box buried in a chimney wall at The Mound, and the inevitable woman in grey who is said to haunt the church. She, like the rest of them, is 'friendly and harmless, and glides away to keep her secret'.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Long Crendon from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Crendon of Long Crendon, is separated by the river Thame from Aylesbury Hundred on the west, and Oxfordshire on the south. Its area, according to the Parliamentary Return is 3,120 acres. Lipscomb states that “Crendon township contains about 3,063 acres, Notley about 725 acres, and a detached portion of the parish called Tittershall Wood 110 acres; in all 3,448 acres.” The present number of the population is 1,570; and is 3,448 acres.” The place is supposed to have derived its name from a Green hill on which it is situated; and its prefix as a distinction Grendon Underwood. The soil is chiefly a stiff pale clay.

The village, which is about a mile in length, is situated 2 miles N. by W. from Thame, and nine miles S.W. from Aylesbury. About one hundred persons are employed here in the manufacture of needles, and lace making is also carried on here to a considerable extent.

Education

Long Crendon Parish (Pop. 1,382)

Five Daily Schools (commenced since 1818),in which 50 males and 36 females are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, in one, supported by voluntary contributions, are 45 children of both sexes, who attend the Established Church; the other appertains to Baptists, and consists of 185 children, conducted by gratuitous teachers.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

 

 

Ludgershall

Introduction

Ludgershall Parish

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 2823

Easting & Northing: 466217

Grid Ref SP660170 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Ludgershall PARISH St Mary
Lotegarser NAMES name for Ludgershall in Domesday Book ing 1086
Ludgarsell NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1766
Lurdgarsall NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1526
Lurgesall NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1627
Lurgessale NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1509
Lurgosall NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1536
Tetchwich NAMES name for Tetchwick in 1756
Titchwick field NAMES name for Tetchwick in 1674
Tochingewiche NAMES name for Tetchwick in Domesday Book in 1086
Tutchwike NAMES name for Tetchwick in 1570
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1844. Rebuilt 1904
Kingswood PLACE within the parish
Tetchwick PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note Kingswood
1801 37
1811 39
1821 56
1831 61
1841 66
1851 53
1861 54
1871 39
1881 27
1891 40
1901 29
1911 22
1921 24
1931 18
1941 N/A
1951 114
1961 107
1971 89
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Ludgershall   St Mary   Baptisms   1572   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Ludgershall   St Mary   Marriages   1570   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Ludgershall   St Mary   Burials   1566   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 SHERLEY LAMBORN FAULKNER JONES
2 MAYO JONES MOLE MOLE
3 TIPPER LEAVER JONES GRIFFIN
4 PAGE HINE GRIFFIN FAULKNER
5 SHORLEY WARD EDMONDS COLES
6 COLEMAN ALLEN COLES LAMBORN
7 COLES GRIFFIN HARRIS EDMONDS
8 WALLINGTON GOODGAME SMITH SMITH
9 HAWKINS WHITE LAMBORN WALLINGTON
10 COLMAN WALLINGTON HUNT GOODGAME

 

 

Description

Description of Ludgershall from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish lies on the borders of Oxfordshire, and includes the hamlets of Tetchwick and and Kingswood. Area, according to the Parliamentary Return, 2,430 acres; population about 500; rateable value £2,506. Lipscomb says that Ludgershall contains mare than 2,000 acres; Kingswood, 254; and Tetchwick, 484; in all, 2,766 acres. The soil is a dark clay, with various loams. Two brooks, springing from Muswell Hill, run N.W. through this parish.

The village is very much scattered, and the greater part of the dwellings are old and covered with thatch. It is distant 6 miles S.E. from Bicester (Oxon), and 13 miles N.W. from Aylesbury.

Lipscomb writes, “Lotegarshale or Ludgar’s-Hall, supposed to have been called from its soil and situation on the verge of a marsh, denominated Otmoor, in Oxfordshire. Kennet thought it ‘seemed to continue the name King Lud,’ to whom tradition assigns a Royal seat in the contiguous parish of Brill; and a little plot of ground near the parsonage-house of Ludgershall, encompassed with a moat, is traditionally pointed out as King Ludd’s Hall.” Later writers, however, seem unwilling to allow the site of a “hall” to be associated with King Lud, in this parish.

The Rectory House, rebuilt shortly after the inclosure of the parish, is separated from the west side of the church-yard by the high road, and is a genteel residence of brick with a tiled roof, surrounded by about six acres of pleasure and garden grounds.

There is a Wesleyan Chapel on the village green, built in 1844; and at the top of the green, on the north side of the church, is the National School, a remarkably neat structure, erected in 1846, at a cost of about £500, contributed chiefly by the present Rector, who also gave the site. The building is of red brick, with Bath stone dressings, and consists of one room 36 feet by 16, and 20 feet high, with a porch, and apartments for the teacher. About 70 children attend. The school is endowed with £20 per annum.

Education

Ludgershall and Tetchworth Parish, with Kingswood Hamlet, (Pop, 585.)

Two Daily Schools (commenced 1832), in which 30 males are educated at the expense of their parents.

Three Sunday Schools, two consist of 55 males and 38 females, who attend the Established Church; the other appertains to Baptist Dissenters, 47 males and 33 females (commenced 1833); all supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.>

Maids Moreton

Introduction

Maids Moreton Parish

Church: St Edmund

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 1366

Easting & Northing: 470235

Grid Ref SP700350 Click to see map

Names


Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Maids Moreton PARISH St Edmund
Holloweway field NAMES name for Holloway Spinney in 1607
Maid smorton NAMES name for Maids' Moreton in 1584
Maydes Morton NAMES name for Maids' Moreton in 1546
Mortone NAMES name for Moreton in Domesday Book in 1086
Pratchell NAMES name for Page Hill in 1607
Wellmore feeld NAMES name for Wellmore in 1725
Independent NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1822
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1869
College (Farm) PLACE within the parish
Holloway Spinney PLACE within the parish
Page Hill PLACE within the parish
Wellmore PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 239
1811 315
1821 407
1831 474
1841 570
1851 573
1861 543
1871 511
1881 448
1891 444
1901 425
1911 371
1921 351
1931 396
1941 N/A
1951 395
1961 389
1971 631
1981 731
1991 842

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Maids Moreton   St Edmund   Baptisms   1560   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Maids Moreton   St Edmund   Marriages   1558   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Maids Moreton   St Edmund   Burials   1563   1892   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 ATTWOOD SCOTT KING KING
2 TURPIN PAGE JONES SCOTT
3 WARRE ATTWOOD SCOTT JONES
4 ESTON STEVENS COLTON PAGE
5 DIX KING ANDERSON COLTON
6 BATE SMITH LINFORD ANDERSON
7 SCOTT NEWMAN PAGE SMITH
8 ROBOTHAM MILLER PARGETER LINFORD
9 SHRIEVE HANNAH DANIEL MARRIOTT
10 SPRATLEY GIBBS NICHOLLS ATTWOOD

 

Notes

In the beginning of the reign of King Edward I, the family of Peyvre or Peover, of Toddington (Beds), held a considerable estate in the area and two pious maidens of this family are traditionally stated to have founded the church, thus giving the village its name. Foxcote, the adjoining village had a minute church, now converted to a private dwelling, and is well known because the late Dorian Williams owned the manor house.

Mummers used to come round the village on Boxing Day. The players dressed as clowns and wore odd garments. They carried a black iron frying pan, a club etc. and sang:

'Here come I old Bel Ze Bub,
In my hand I carry a club,
Over my shoulder a dripping pan,
Don't you think I'm a jolly old man?'


This was in 1926 when they were given a few coppers to buy beer. May Day was taken very seriously. Days before, mothers planned what sort of garland they would make for their daughters. Baby chairs, hoops, and crosses were prepared by binding mosses onto a base with twine and kept moistened with water. The evening before, they were decorated with the season's flowers - crown imperials (crown of pearls) were much sought after and were the high point of these artistic creations. Almost every child in the village went May garlanding.

Up to the beginning of the Second World War a baker in Main Street fired his oven (with faggots of wood) every Sunday morning. People brought their family joint of meat which was put on a rack over a roasting tin into which had been poured the batter for the Yorkshire pudding. Sometimes a fruit pie would also be taken later in the morning usually by the husband who would collect the whole meal on his way back from the pub later and taken home where the cooked vegetables were waiting.

There have been several 'characters' in Maids Moreton. One was Madam Morney, a member by marriage of the French perfumers. She bought the Old Manor House opposite the Buckingham Arms in the 1930s. She gave a lot of work to builders in Buckingham and men who were unemployed in the village. She had a herd of Jersey cows and sold the cream at 6d for about ozs. A Q.C. Stewart Bevan lived with her causing great speculation amongst villagers — she being French!
Another character was Dick Jones, alias Captain Starlight who on returning from the First World War, had to leave his mother's terraced cottage in Batchelors Row when she died. He dug a pit in a field near Chackmore Farm, thatched it with straw, dug steps in the earth at the entrance, and lived there on bags of straw until his death. As his nickname suggests he was very knowledgeable about the stars.

In the 1930s there was much poverty, although folk were too proud to let it be known. When the blackberries and mushrooms were ready, the women rose early, got the children off to school, quickly did their housework and went off to gather blackberries and fungi. 'Blackberry Jack' always appeared with the same intentions and was very abusive if the women went near where he was gathering. Mr Busby, a greengrocer, came by trap from Buckingham each day and bought the berries (to make dye or jam) and the mushrooms for a few coppers per pound.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Maids’ Moreton from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish contains 1,240 acres, and 543 souls. Its rateable value is £1,880. The soil is clayey, alternated with gravel. The river Ouse bounds the parish on the east, and a branch of the Grand Junction Canal passes through it. The name of the place is derived from its locality being originally a moor; and the prefix from two maiden sisters of the Peyvre family, who built the church.

The village is distant 1.5 mile N. E. from Buckingham.

The school is a neat red brick building erected chiefly by the Rector, in 1854. From 60 to 80 children attend.

Charities In 1743 John Snart, gentleman, gave £100 to the poor of this parish, the interest or produce of the same to be given in bread to such of the poor on Sundays “as shall come constantly to church.” This sum was expended in the purchase of £158 2s. 6d. stock, three per cent. consols.

William Scott, by will dated about the year 1800 left £100, the interest to be applied in apprenticing poor children of this parish. With this sum £164 3s. 9d. three per cent. consols has been purchased.

Education

Maids Moreton Parish (Pop. 474)

One Daily School, containing 20 males and 20 females.

Two Sunday Schools, 37 males and 32 females; supported by the Rector, the Rev. James Long Long.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Marsh Gibbon

Introduction

Marsh Gibbon Parish

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 2818

Easting & Northing: 464223

Grid Ref SP640230 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Marsh Gibbon PARISH St Mary the Virgin
Black Bretch NAMES name for Black Breach in 1674
Gubbons Hole NAMES name for Rhon Hill in 1670
Marsh Gibbyon NAMES name for Marsh Gibbon in 16th C
Marsh Gibwen NAMES name for Marsh Gibbon in 1806
Marsh Gubbyon NAMES name for Marsh Gibbon in 16th C
Merse NAMES name for Marsh Gibbon in Domesday Book in 1086
Ranell NAMES name for Rhon Hill in 1670
Ranhill NAMES name for Rhon Hill in 1674
Rannell NAMES name for Rhon Hill in 1674
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1853
Independent NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1822
Black Breach PLACE within the parish, now lost
Gubbins Hole PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 534
1811 626
1821 738
1831 812
1841 863
1851 944
1861 858
1871 876
1881 743
1891 696
1901 598
1911 587
1921 521
1931 490
1941 N/A
1951 510
1961 545
1971 724
1981 820
1991 853

There was no census in 1941.

{tsb Records}

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Marsh Gibbon   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1576   1843   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Marsh Gibbon   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1577   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Marsh Gibbon   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1577   1924   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 PARKER PARKER PARKER PARKER
2 NEWMAN CLARKE JONES RAWLINS
3 CLARKE HICKS RAWLINS JONES
4 TOMKINS SPIER GOUGH WHITE
5 MASON RAWLINS TOMPKINS GOUGH
6 MILLER MASON HERITAGE TOMPKINS
7 WHITE JONES HERRING HERITAGE
8 THORNTON WHITE WHITE CLARKE
9 LADYMAN SCOTT ALLEN ALLEN
10 KINGHAM NEWMAN BURGESS SMITH

 

Notes

Most of the farms and stone terraced cottages are owned by the Ewelme Charity Trust, and the rents help provide for 13 poor men and two chaplains at Ewelme in Oxfordshire.

The Greyhound Friendly Society was formed in 1777 as a sick club. Today it has about 160 members and a 'Feast' is organised at the Village Hall following the parade to church with the Marsh Gibbon Silver Band leading the procession. The band celebrated its 80th anniversary in 1986.

The Parish Church of St Mary's dates from Norman times and the lovely old manor house stands nearby. Westbury Manor is situated near a moat in the centre of the village and Oliver Cromwell is said to have stayed at Cromwell House on his way to the Battle of Edge Hill.

The village has changed over recent years with small developments taking place. The new inhabitants have fitted into the way of life extremely well, many commuting to Oxford, London, Banbury, Thame, Aylesbury and Milton Keynes from here. In 1971—72 and 73 the villagers organised three successful steam rallies which helped raise enough money to build a new Village Hall which was opened in 1976.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Memories

At the turn of the century Marsh Gibbon was noted for its large proportion of thatched cottages and barns, and most of the farm workers of the village could thatch.
House thatching was a business of its own as carried on by the Carter family and this was their only means of earning a living. The straw was supplied by local farmers, as was the willow used for making sprays and pegs. This craft was very skilled and the Carters travelled on foot to neighbouring villages and borrowed ladders from the farmers for their own use.

The process involved was that the straw of the best wheat was shaken out into a heap and wetted, yealmed into bundles to take up the ladder, laid on the roof (working from the bottom upwards) until they had completed a 'stolch' or strip, then it was pegged on, working from right to left across one side of the roof. If a good straw was used and the work well done a thatched roof has been known to last thirty years, but the normal length would be twenty years. The main part of the houses nowadays are covered with wire netting to protect the thatch from birds. Mr Owen Carter, now retired and living in the village, gave me details of prices his father charged. They were rather staggering, 4s 6d to 5s 6d per hundred square feet of roof.
As a farmer's daughter, I recall trips to the corn fields in the summer when the corn was being cut with the binder into sheaves, then shocked into stooks to dry out before being carried on horse-drawn wagons and made into a rick in readiness for threshing in the winter months. Some of my father's straw has been used to thatch houses in this village.

Eileen Chambers, Marsh Gibbon

My father-in-law, now ninety-two, has a few tales to tell. In the school holidays he was given 1 d per week and sent to a little cottage school which only held about ten children. The wives in those days were busy with the lace pillows to earn a few extra pence and they often started the day with a hymn they chose at the school. Because it was a favourite 'Now the day is over' was often sung! Those who reached Standard IV at the age of twelve were allowed to leave school. A few coppers were to be earned in fields in the evenings towards dusk. The farmers in those days were worried about the amount of sparrows and the harm they did, so a sparrow club was formed and some nets bought. The boys were paid one penny per dead bird. Older people say that sparrows' breasts were nice in a pie! The days of a farm worker before the First World War were very long. In summertime they worked from 4 am until at least 7 pm. The wives thought nothing of taking them food to the fields twice in a day. They were allowed the chunky, pieces of wood when hedgecutting, so bought very little coal. Many of the women spent long hours in the harvest fields picking up the  odd ears of wheat. Most of them kept chickens and were glad of the corn. Almost all the families had a pig or two in the sty and grew their own vegetables and fruit. On the very large allotment field, many had a little patch of corn sowed each year and a young man ploughed it for them for a small charge. There was one threshing day arranged in a barn near by and each one had his corn threshed and they each had their own flour ground for the year. All this seemed to stop around the First World War, and now the field is a patch of Council houses.

I.M. White, Marsh Gibbon

In 1917 I was born in the end farmhouse in Marsh Gibbon where I still live, so by now I really belong there.
We had a mile to walk to school and often arrived late as one attraction was the blacksmith's shop. We hung around the doorway for ages, watching the smithy and his son, clad in leather aprons, one working the large bellows and fire, the other shoeing the horses and moulding the iron work.
Next door to the blacksmith's was the butcher's shop and slaughter-house. On pig-killing days we rushed out of school at midday and whoever got to the butcher's first would claim the bladders. We blew them up and had great fun kicking them like footballs all the way home.
In a nearby field there were some very large pits twenty-five feet deep in places, from which the stones were dug and farm cottages built with them in the village a hundred years ago. People used to come from miles around to swim and fish here. It was here that I and many others learnt to swim in summer and skate in winter.
In the middle of the village is a very strong spring, Stump Well. The water is very soft, and brown with iron. The village was piped so that pressure would send the water to the end of the village and gravity would return it back through the village to provide for six taps. If luck was against you and someone at the farthest taps along the line was drawing water, you would wait for ages.
Our local doctor used nothing but this water to mix his medicines with. To him it was full of healing powers. The well is still here today but barricaded from humans and animals as it is in the middle of a field.
Near to the main road was a field with an open hovel in the centre. It was here that we achieved a tramp who became a permanent member of the village. Where he came from we never knew, or what his end was, but his stay was some thirty years. We called him Billy Wontwork.

Lydia Herring, Marsh Gibbon

At Marsh Gibbon there are wide grass verges on the sides of the roads. Before roads were tarred, the roadsides were wide to enable traffic to pull out of the ruts that formed in the middle of the road in wet weather. After tarring, these verges were used for grazing and making hay. Right up to the 1930's, at Marsh Gibbon the Parish Council auctioned them for the year. Small farmers were glad to pay £4 or £5 for a couple of miles of roadside where they then grazed cattle with an attendant or cut it for hay. In that village the money so made was given to the parish representative on the Rural District Council towards his expenses.
A great deal of milk went from Bucks on the Oxford-Bletchley railway line to Euston. The milk had to be at the station at 8 am—some thirty horses and carts converged on the station at Marsh Gibbon before the 1914-18 war.
The cows were all milked by hand and the milk all had to be run over a surface cooler before going to the station, and sometimes there was a dash to get there on time. The milk was on sale in Euston in the afternoon.
In frosty weather the pony had to be driven very carefully. The blacksmith would put longer nails in the horse's shoes to give a grip. These wore down quickly, and if the frost lasted more than six or seven days they would have to be done again.
Mr Batchelor remembers cutting corn with a scythe and then using a hook and a left-handed iron hook to make it into sheaves that were tied by hand with straw.
Later they had a 'Sailer', a two-horse drawn implement that cut the com, which fell back onto the platform behind and some sails swung round and threw the corn loose in a sheaf onto the ground. This was tied by hand. Beans were not tied.
Later they had a binder drawn by three horses which cut and tied the sheaves. In the 1939-45 war one of these was converted to use with a tractor. Before it started in a field, one width had to be cut by hand all round so that it did not run over standing corn.
If the builder of a hay or corn rick was not very skilled the rick might lean and it would then have to be propped up with wooden stakes. These stakes were known as 'policemen'. A neighbour might comment, 'I see you've got a policeman up at your rick so's it won't run away'.
.Quite a lot of hay was made for sale, much of it for the horses in London. This hay was 'trussed'. The trusser did this job throughout the year, moving his truss from farm to farm as required. He then used a knife to cut out slabs of hay. This was put in the trusser and a handle pulled down to press it tightly and tie string round.
Trussing was no longer necessary when hay was baled in the field in the 1940s.

Percy Batchelor (born 1895)

My home was in a huddle of houses surrounded by fields, except on one side where a canal and wide expanse of railway kept the town at bay. We had many more shops than most villages. Just over the canal bridge was the 'local', it was a good idea to give this a wide berth at turning-out time on Saturday night, or risk being bowled over by a lurching drunk. Opposite this was a power station, where gas was extracted from coal, turning it into coke.
Over the bridge was first a paper, tobacco and sweet shop. Next, a fish and chip shop where one could get 'a penny and pennorth'—a penny piece of fish and a scoop of potatoes, with vinegar and salt thrown in if wanted. A couple of houses separated that from the greengrocer's. Oranges cost four a penny, apples 1 or 2 lb a penny, according to the season, and a bag of mixed herbs (onions, carrots and turnips) only a few pence. At the grocer's shop there was rice, sugar, split peas, lentils etc. in sacks on the floor. These were sold in a wrapping of stiff blue paper screwed into a cone. On some occasions a rice pudding had to be skimmed before being put in the oven, or one got sacking hairs with it.
Next came the oil shop, where they sold fire-wood, candles, gas mantles, fire lighters and some hardware, besides paraffin.
Beyond the draper's shop about a dozen houses continued on, one of which was a barber's shop and had a striped pole standing out beside the door; and then, of all things, a coffee shop.
Across the other side of a cul-de-sac was a 'snob', or shoe-maker, and we were allowed to go in and watch him at his work, though he used to chase small boys away. He also renewed rubber heels, which were disks held in place by a screw. When worn at one edge, the disk could be turned, so that the worn edge was the other side of the shoe.
Quite a bit further down the road was another tobacco, sweet and paper shop where we could get 4 oz of sweet crumbs for a farthing. These were the bits of any kind of sweet left in the jars or boxes when they were otherwise empty.
Across another side road was a grocer's and off-licence. Here there were boxes of biscuits along the front of the counter with their tops off to show their contents. Then the 'milk shop' where they sold all kinds of dairy produce, and a very large earthenware bowl took up a good part of the counter. This was glazed, and white, with a picture of a cow in blue, with a sort of wreath of leaves round it. Customers took their own receptacle into which the milk was measured with one or half pint measures.
The last shop was a bakery, with lovely smells issuing.
A few more houses, then fields and more fields and on the nearest of these one of the first cottage homes for orphans was built.
In our nearest shopping centre was the Jubilee Clock, where on 'Hogmanay' Scotsmen, brought down to man the new McVitie & Price's factory, gathered to drink, dance and sing the old year out.
The baker brought our bread in a horse-drawn cart When he had gone by we looked up the road for manure, and if the horse had obliged ran out with bucket and shovel, for we had a small flower garden at the back of the house. Most people kept rabbits, chickens or pigeons.
Downstairs our house was gas lit, but we had to use candles upstairs. My brothers and father were all over six feet tall, so we had to keep a good supply of mantles in the house. The street was also gas lit, and at dusk the lamplighter came down the road carrying a cane with a hook at the end which he used to turn on the gas.
The milkman called round the village with a brass ornamental churn slung between two wheels. Horizontal bars held the measuring cans which were of a lead-like metal with flat brass hooks for the dual purpose of handles and to hold them on to the bar. We put lidded cans of the same lead-like metal on to the front step, and he filled them as he passed. The rag and bone man with his cry of 'Rag'ne a bone, bottle a bone', used a coster's barrow, as did the Hokey Pokey man Who called 'Okey Pokey penny a lump'.
The canal came into my life. The playground of the infants' school overlooked it, with iron railings shutting it off. One teacher here would let us go out to watch the barges go by if we put our hands up in time. We always looked into the tiny cabin to see how much shining copper and brass they had, and often sparkling glass. Occasionally we would see a mirror framed in flowers painted on to the glass. The half door, and outer walls too, were usually brightly painted with all kinds of scenes and designs and the horses' harness shone with dangling brasses.

Anonymous, Marsh Gibbon

Extracted from 'A Pattern Hundreds' (1975) and reproduced with the kind permission of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes

Description

Description of Marsh Gibbon from J. J. Sheahan in 1861.

The parish of Marsh Gibbon or Mershe Gibwen, lies on the border of Oxfordshire, and contains 2,752 acres, and 858 inhabitants. Rateable value of £4,461. The Buckinghamshire Railway passes through the parish. Marsh Gibbon derives its name from its situation in a marsh; and a family anciently proprietors or lessees of these lands. The village is a mile in length, the church and a school being near its centre. Until within a mile in length, the church and school being near its centre. Until within a recent period the roads were hardly passable during the winter months. The place is distant from Bicester 4.5 miles E. by N., and 9 miles S.W. from Buckingham. Little Marsh is a detached portion of the village. Pillow lace is made here by females. The waste lands were inclosed under an Act of Parliament passed in 1841. 

There are many landowners in this parish, among which are George Croke, Esq., (lessee under Ewelme Hospital), and Messers, T. Hickman, J. Jones, John Holt, Richard Ivans, J. Mason, S. May, M. Parker, and W. Coles.

The Manor House, situated on the south side of the church, is a large gabled building of stone, in the Domestic Gothic Style, with mullioned windows, and red brick chimney shafts. Three of the rooms contain some ancient tapestry in good preservation, most of the subjects being of a scriptural character. Lipscomb calls this the “Old Manor-house of Crokes,” and states that “soon after the death of Alexander Croke, Esq., in 1757, it was converted into a farmhouse,” The house is engraved in Lipscomb, and is now in the occupation in the occupation of Mr. John Templer, farmer. At the back, or west side of the building are some fine old yew trees. 

The Westbury Manor House is situated at the west end of the village, and at present is the residence of Mr. Richard Ivens. In a field called the Grove, on the south side of the house, are two ponds or small lakes, in the centre of one of which there is a small island. In this locality are traces of an ancient entrenchment.

West of the church are the remains of embankments, “supposed,” according to Lysons’, “to have been thrown up by the Parliamentary army, when they marched Marsh Gibwen, in the month of June, 1645.”

The Living is a Rectory in the patronage of the Bishop of Oxford and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Huntley Green. It is valued in the King’s Books at £21 9s. 4.5d. The tithes were commuted for £500, and there are 127 acres of glebe land. After the suppression of the Grestein Monastery the advowson was given to the De la Poles, and upon their attainder was escheated to the Crown, in which it continued until about 1853, when it was granted to the Bishop of Oxford.

The Rectory House, built in 1846, is a handsome Elizabethan structure of red brick with Bath stone dressings. It is surrounded by five acres of garden, pleasure grounds, &c.

The Independent Chapel, situated on the Launton Road, was erected in 1853. The Rev. Edwin Green is pastor.

The National School is a neat building in the vicinity of the church. In 1847, the late Mrs. Shephard left £35 per annum for the support of it. Upwards of 100 children attend.

About 200 yards north of the church is a Mineral Spring called “Stomp Well.” The ground about here abounds with the fossil shells of marine productions.

The rent of five acres of land at Piddington (Oxon), is expended in apprenticing poor children of this parish. The donor of this charity is unknown. At the inclosure, ten acres were allotted to the poor in lieu of common rights.

Education

Marsh Gibbon Parish (Pop, 812)

Two Sunday Schools (commenced since 1818); one supported by the Rector and Curate, is attended by 50 males and 80 females, the other maintained by Independent Dissenters, consisting of about 50 children of both sexes.

There are Schools wherein females are taught lace-making, and occasionally to read, but they, like the Sunday Schools, afford but scanty means of instruction, and a daily School is greatly needed.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

Subcategories