Introduction

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 1411

Easting & Northing: 471217

Grid Ref SP710170 Click to see map

Introduction

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Aylesbury

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 2323

Easting & Northing: 485210

Grid Ref SP850100 Click to see map

Introduction

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 2525

Easting & Northing: 480234

Grid Ref SP800340 Click to see map


Introduction

Church: St John the Evangelist

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 1717

Easting & Northing: 480220

Grid Ref SP800200 Click to see map

Introduction

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Leighton Buzzard

Size (acres): 5703

Easting & Northing: 488222

Grid Ref SP880220 Click to see map

Introduction

Church: St Peter and St Paul

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 2488

Easting & Northing: 486218

Grid Ref SP860180 Click to see map


{tab Introduction}

Church: St Laurence

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 1920

Easting & Northing: 476227

Grid Ref SP760270 Click to see map

{tab Names}

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Winslow PARISH St Laurence
Weneslai NAMES name for Winslow in Domesday in 1086
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Baptist Tabernacle, High Street. First Mentioned: 1864
General Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Keach's Meeting House. First Mentioned: 1654. Built 1695
Independent NON-CONFORMIST Horn Street. First Mentioned: 1816. Rebuilt 1829.1885
Shipton PLACE within the parish

 {tab Links}

Links

Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial
Disused railway Disused railway
St Laurence Church St Laurence Church
Victoria County History Victoria County History
Village History Village History
Winslow Road disused railway Winslow Road disused railway
Search The National Archives for Winslow Search The National Archives for Winslow
Buckinghamshire Remembers - Congregational Buckinghamshire Remembers - Congregational
Winslow History Winslow History
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass

 

Photographs

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery
Pictures in the Frith collection Pictures in the Frith collection

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

{tab Population}

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 1101
1811 1222
1821 1222
1831 1290
1841 1434
1851 1889
1861 1890
1871 1826
1881 1663
1891 1704
1901 1703
1911 1698
1921 1532
1931 1539
1941 N/A
1951 1520
1961 2072
1971 2477
1981 3178
1991 3870

There was no census in 1941.

{tab Records}

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Winslow   St Laurence   Baptisms   1560   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Winslow   St Laurence   Marriages   1560   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Winslow   St Laurence   Burials   1560   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 {tab Surnames}

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 GLENISTER GIBBS WALKER WALKER
2 SHELTON SEATON SMITH GIBBS
3 NORMAN BLAKE FRENCH SMITH
4 MILLER GOODMAN KING SEATON
5 HOGSON KING HOLT KING
6 STUTSBURIE BUDD VERNEY NORMAN
7 UDDEN MILLER WARNER FRENCH
8 SPOONER NORMAN SAVING ALLEN
9 TOMLIN EDEN VICCARS SHELTON
10 SEATON COX ROADS BUDD

 

{tab Notes}

The Mercian King Offa had a palace and chapel in Winslow, and he conceived the idea of founding a monastery and endowing it to the Manor of Winslow. The Domesday Survey of 1086 notes Wineslai as part of the possession of St Albans Abbey, with the Abbot as Lord of the Manor. In 1235 King Henry III authorised a weekly market, and a fair on the feast day of St Lawrence on the 10th August, for which he granted a charter.


The church, c.1320, has been restored and enlarged by successive generations. Of interest are a collection of bibles, one of which is the 1611 authorised version, and Fox's Book of Martyrs, plus a selection of ancient parish registers. The faded wall murals are said to depict the patron saint of the diocese St Frideswide, and also of note, over the aisle, is a fine 20 candle chandelier dated 1670, and made in Buckingham. St Lawrence has a fine peal of bells. The Sanctus bell dates from 1611, and there is a three hourly carillon of Old St Davids.

Keach's Meeting House was built in 1625, and is the second oldest religious building in Winslow. Keach's was the headquarters of dissenting Baptists. Benjamin Keach introduced congregational singing in this chapel to the fury of the London Baptist Association who condemned it as a 'carnal formality'. For many years the meeting house was secreted away behind other buildings, but the atmosphere of Keach's remains very much as it was in the Puritan era.

Today Winslow is still growing steadily, with the addition of several hundred new houses, but manages to retain its links with the past, with its attractive old thatched houses, its market square and cattle markets and delightful surrounding countryside.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

 

{tab Education}

Winslow Parish (Pop. 1,290)

One Daily School, endowed with property amounting to 30/. per annum.   In this School, 12 males receive gratuitous instruction, and 8 others pay a small sum weekly.

Introduction

Woodham Parish

Church:

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 325

Easting & Northing: 470218

Grid Ref SP700180 Click to see map

Introduction

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 2487

Easting & Northing: 468215

Grid Ref SP680150 Click to see map

introduction

Worminghall Parish

Church: St Peter and St Paul

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Thame

Size (acres): 1510

Easting & Northing: 464208

Grid Ref SP640080 Click to see map