Aston Sandford

Introduction

Church: St Michael and All Angels

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 679

Easting & Northing: 475207

Grid Ref SP750070 Click to see map

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Aston Sandford   St Michael & All Angels   Baptisms   1813   1906   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Aston Sandford   St Michael & All Angels   Marriages   1590   1907   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Aston Sandford   St Michael & All Angels   Burials   1576   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 CARTER WILLIAMS HIGGINS HIGGINS
2 SMITH DOVER MATTHEWS WILLIAMS
3 SANDERS HUTCHINS DOVER DOVER
4 WILSON ASTON GOMME MATTHEWS
5 SAUNDERS LAMBERT GOMM SMITH
6 CHAPMAN SMITH WHEELER GOMM
7 LENTHALL HIGGINS AUSTIN WHEELER
8 SURMAN HANCE WILLOTT WILSON
9 STEVENS GOMM LUDLOW LAMBERT
10 WELHEAD MABLEY JOHNSON HUTCHINS

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 71
1811 76
1821 84
1831 82
1841 86
1851 88
1861 59
1871 58
1881 59
1891 48
1901 46
1911 41
1921 60
1931 49
1941 N/A
1951 60
1961 55
1971 51
1981 54
1991 40

There was no census in 1941.

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Aston Sandford PARISH St Michael and All Angels
Estone NAMES name for Aston in Domesday Book in 1086

Notes

Description from J .J. Sheahan in 1861.

This is a small parish of 669 acres, divided into two farms. Population 88, rateable value, £697.

It has its name from being a town of plase east of some particular village or manorial seat in Saxon times. The addition of Sandford was subsequently acquired from from the family of the Norman owners. The parish is locally situated in the hundred of Aylesbury, in a detached portion of Ashendon hundred.The soil is a deep, stiff, blue clay.

The village is small, neat and secluded, 4 miles E.N.E. from Thame, and 7.5 miles S.W. of Aylesbury.

Tosti held the Manor of Estone in the reign of the last Saxon monarch of England. Ater the conquest it was part of the possessions of Maigno Brito, who had the seat of his Barony at Wolverton. Towards the close of the 1th century it was held by the family of de Saundford, or Sandford, as of the Barony of Wolverton. From this family it passed in marriage to the De Veres, Earls of Oxford, about the middle of the 13th century. 



Education


Aston Sandford Parish (Pop. 82)

No School in the parish.

Abstract of Education Returns 1833



 

Additional information