Aston Clinton

Introduction

Church: St Michael and All Angels

Hundred: Aylesbury

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 3809

Easting & Northing: 487212

Grid Ref SP870120 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Aston Clinton PARISH St Michael and All Angels
Asen NAMES name for Aston Clinton in 1675
Aston Chevery NAMES name for Chivery in 1579
Aston Chewerey NAMES name for Chivery in 1543
Aston Chewery NAMES name for Chivery in 1532
Bradneg NAMES name for Bradnidge in 1543
Bradnege NAMES name for Bradnidge in 1639
Broardnedge NAMES name for Broadnege in 1703
Brunes NAMES name for Old Brun's in 1544
Cheverye NAMES name for Chivery in 1631
Dunriche NAMES name for Dunbridge in 1544
Dunrigge NAMES name for Dunbridge in 1544
Hareway NAMES name for Harelane Bridge in 1639
Marrwell NAMES name for Marl Copse in 1639
Merrimeade NAMES name for Merrymead in 1639
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Green End Street. First Mentioned: 1830. Rebuilt1830,1846,1897
Evangelical NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1878
Aston Hill PLACE within the parish
Bradnidge Wood PLACE within the parish
Chivery PLACE within the parish
Dunbridge (Fm) PLACE within the parish
Harelane Bridge PLACE within the parish
Marl Copse PLACE within the parish
Merrymead (Cottage) PLACE within the parish

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Aston Clinton   St Michael & All Angels   Baptisms   1566   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Aston Clinton   St Michael & All Angels   Marriages   1557   1904   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Aston Clinton   St Michael & All Angels   Burials   1559   1906   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 WELLS WELLS KEEN WELLS
2 DANCER BRANDON ROLFE KEEN
3 WELLES KEEN HORWOOD HORWOOD
4 BAMPTON WRIGHT KING ROLFE
5 MOUNTAGUE DANCER WRIGHT KING
6 BALDWIN BASSE FOWLER WRIGHT
7 GRANGE NORWOOD THORNE BRANDON
8 COOKE ALLEN THORN FOWLER
9 BRANDON HORWOOD AXTELL DANCER
10 WHITE BENNING FOSKETT SMITH

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 584
1811 652
1821 723
1831 854
1841 847
1851 928
1861 1108
1871 1235
1881 1317
1891 1246
1901 1131
1911 1178
1921 2791
1931 1494
1941 N/A
1951 1992
1961 2393
1971 2473
1981 3217
1991 3173

There was no census in 1941.

Description

Description

Aston Clinton is a large village nestling in the lee of the Chiltern Hills some 4 miles east of Aylesbury. It is traversed by the busy A41 trunk road with its tremendous volume of traffic. (It is now by-passed by the new A41)

The inhabitants mostly commute to the larger towns as there is little industry nearby. The saw mill owned by Mr Weston has long since disappeared, so has the wood-turning business run by Mr Marriott, who turned chair legs and sent them by the load to High Wycombe.

Just over seventy years ago Mr Howe ran a horse bus to Aylesbury and operated from the house now owned by the Raglan Kennels. In 1919 he acquired a motor bus which ran twice daily to the market town. However, the horse and cart was still the main mode of travel and the blacksmith had premises in the Main Street on the site of what is now Madge Garage, and the wheelwright resided further down the road. The present Partridge Arms was the home of the saddler.

Motor vehicles became more sophisticated and a maker by the name of Martin used to race his cars up Aston Hill; thus the name of Aston Martin was derived. This hill now forms part of the land owned and managed by the Forestry Commission.

Lords of the Manor, or Squires, include the medieval Minshull family, Lord Luke of Delhi, and Sir Anthony de Rothschild. It is the latter, one of the four sons of Nathan Maye de Rothschild, who is best remembered.
He came to live in Aston Clinton in 1853 and amongst his achievements was the establishment of the Chiltern Hills Spring Water Company. The Buckland, Drayton Beauchamp and Aston Clinton W.I. meet in the Anthony Hall, now a listed building, which was given to the village by Lady de Rothschild in memory of her husband.

It contains a painting of his two daughters Connie and Annie, who as children discovered that whereas boys were educated in the church school, girls were only allowed to attend a straw plaiting school situated in the main street. Although aged only eleven and nine respectively, the de Rothschild children took it upon themselves to teach the girls. Sir Anthony came to the rescue and built a girls school and subsequently, at her request, gave Connie an infants school for her sixteenth birthday present. The boys school vvas rebuilt in 1887 and is surmounted by the Jubilee Clock, which was erected to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

By a quirk of nature, the village has suffered three whirlwinds. One in 1950 when extensive damage was done, including the lifting of the school roof, causing the school to be closed, one in the late 1970s and one in 1984. The latter ripped off roofs, moved fences and garden sheds, splintered greenhouses and bent many a television aerial.

Although the adjoining parishes of Buckland and Drayton Beauchamp retain their independence, they have associations with Aston Clinton and share some of its amenities.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

 

Notes

Aston Clinton parish included the ancient chapelry of St. Leonard which was in ruins by the 17th Century. St Leonard was formed into a separate parish in 1860.

Aston Clinton is in the Aylesbury hundred and is one of the many strip parishes along the Chiltern escarpment. The principle of strip parishes was to allow the even distribution of different land types for agriculture when the parishes were originally formed. The original parish is seven miles long and about a mile at wide.

The Aston Clinton, without St Leonard had an area of 2,670 acres in 1861. In 1921 both the ecclesiastical parish of Aston Clinton and St Leonard form the civil parish of Aston Clinton with a population of 2,791 people.

Sir Anthony De Rothschild, Baronet, became Lord of the Manor of Aston Clinton when it was purchased from the estate of Warwick Lake in 1851. The original manor house and moat were removed when a new mansion were built on the site. This house was pulled down in 1956 and the Green Park Training College now occupies the site.

 

 

Education

Aston Clinton Parish (Pop. 854)

Two Daily Schools, wherein 44 children are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School, chiefly supported by the curate, the Rev. William Howard, in which 130 children of both sexes, receive gratuitous instruction.

Leonard, St., Hamlet (Pop. 147)

No School in the hamlet.

Abstract of Education Returns 1833

 

Additional information