Aston Abbots

Introduction

Church: St James the Great

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 2198

Easting & Northing: 484220

Grid Ref SP840200 Click to see map

Names

 Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Aston Abbots PARISH St James the Great
B(e)yrdesthorne NAMES name for Burston in 1539
Birdsthorn NAMES name for Burston in 1563, 1609, 1723
Byrdyston NAMES name for Burston in 1517
Estone NAMES name for Aston in Domesday Book in 1086
Oxlease Farm NAMES name for Oxleys in 1826
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1805. Rbuilt 1839. Now two cottages
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1862
Burston, Upper & Lower PLACE within the parish
Oxleys PLACE within the parish

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 276
1811 267
1821 321
1831 303
1841 356
1851 343
1861 311
1871 327
1881 290
1891 281
1901 290
1911 312
1921 264
1931 247
1941 N/A
1951 288
1961 270
1971 271
1981 278
1991 328

There was no census in 1941.

{Tab Records}

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Aston Abbots   St James the Great   Baptisms   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Aston Abbots   St James the Great   Marriages   1559   1946   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Aston Abbots   St James the Great   Burials   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 GREEN HEDGES KENT HEDGES
2 JEFFES MORTIMER HEDGES KENT
3 VYNCHER SMITH SIMMONS ELLIOTT
4 BETHAM GREEN ELLIOTT SIMMONS
5 HITCHCOCK ELLIOTT SMITH GREEN
6 RUSSELL PARKER BIERTON SMITH
7 THORNTON HITCHCOCK PARKER PARKER
8 HAWKINS GATES CARTER CARTER
9 ILLING AVERY ROADS HITCHCOCK
10 STANBRIDGE BATES WARR BIERTON

Notes

Aston Abbots is a small village in the Cottesloe hundred with a population of 343 in 1851, 311 in 1861, 327 in 1871 and 264 in 1921.

The church of St James has 140 sittings and has the war memorial in the graveyard. There is a Congregational Chapel which was built in 1839 and will seat 200. The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1862 and seats 50 and has a Sunday School attached (1921) In 1861 there is a National School with 40 to 50 students.

 

Education

Aston-Abbots Parish (Pop. 303)

Three Daily Schools, wherein 40 children of both sexes are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School, supported by Independent Dissenters, consisting of about 30 children.

Abstract of Education Returns 1833

Additional information